Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Entire staff of Next Island was fired

Meg from Next Island staff posted on 16 of July on her personal blog that entire stuff of Next Island was let go:

"Wednesday the entire staff of Next Island was let go. Although I knew we weren’t being called to this urgent company meeting so we could pet kittens and eat cupcakes, it is still terribly sad to leave a project I’ve been on for almost two years now, and leave so many narratives unfinished in the gameworld. I’ve been so involved in Next Island for so long, leaving so abruptly is almost like getting dumped.

I came in Thursday to finish a dialogue, originally for August, er, October, and now for personal satisfaction. It was originally constraining to write missions and lines for stationery NPCs, but it’s taught me how effective one line of dialogue can be.

Thursday night found me in the office, clearing out my desk around the time I’m usually calling Harold and telling him that perhaps he shouldn’t wait for me to have dinner. The night janitor came by and saw the state of my desk.

“Moving out?” he asked.
I nodded.
He asked if I got a new job, and I had to say no.
He asked if I got a promotion, and I had to say no.
He asked if I lost my job, and I had to say yes.
“But you? You are always working. You are always here at night,” he said, “How did you lose your job?”

That one line of dialogue can really be effective, I thought, and I picked up my box of island maps, Hello Kitty desk toys, Screamland copies, and XYZZY coffee mug, and walked to the elevator to go home."

What a heartbreaking story! BUT. Is this really a bad thing or actually a good change? Everyone knows Next Island was doing worst from all the planets. It started bad with all the NEVERDIE names all over the planet. I personally traveled to all other planets except NI. I play most on Calypso, I was on Rocktropia and Arkadia few times, one time on Cyrene and will go back after they start the real launch. But I have never been to Next Island and never wanted to.

At forums I see post from other planets about new missions and mobs and from next Island usually the news is "WORK IN PROGRESS" and I don't even care what is it. The crafting sucks monkey balls and speaking of monkey balls, every where you go there are monkeys on the planet. Like the planet of the apes.

Their site is even flagged by Google:
"Diagnostic page for nextisland dot com
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days."

Now the question is what is going to happen to Next Island. Will it just get new stuff and make things better? Will the planet be sold to someone else who knows what to do with it? Or will it go to MindArk hands?

And how this is going to impact Entropia Universe?

UPDATE:

Bjorn|MindArk, MindArk Official:

"I'd like to reassure everyone that Planet Next Island will not be shutting down.
MindArk is in constant contact with the developers of Next Island, and we are monitoring the situation closely.
More detailed information about Next Island's plans for continued development will be provided as it becomes available."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: